Horse racing is one of the most established sports in Australia. The first horse race dates back to the 1790s in Sydney. Over the years, betting on the horses has emerged as one of the most popular sports betting past-times in the country.
The thrill of seeing beautiful Thoroughbreds racing every weekend is unmatched. It's no wonder millions of fans across the country place bets on these horses. Whether you attend horse races or you follow the action online, horse racing betting is a lot of fun, and you can win money while at it.
This post explores some simple tips to help you improve your bets on horses. These tips will help take your betting strategy to the next level.
Horse Racing Betting Simplified
The beauty of this form of sports betting is that you have multiple bet types to try. If you're new in this sport, here are some options to consider.
- The single: Selection to win, place, or both (each-way). Betting on each-way doubles your win as you bet on your horse to win, and also to place.
- All-In betting: Bookmakers sometimes give fixed odds on selected races way before the declaration of the final field.
- Quinella: Available where there are at least three or more runners and you win if you predict the 1st and 2nd place getters in any order.
- An exacta: Just like in a quinella with the exception being that you must predict the 1st and 2nd place getters in the correct order.
- A Patent bet: A unique kind of bet made up of seven separate bets (3 singles, 3doubles, and a trio). One winner yields a return on your bet.
- Trifecta bet: Applies where there are at least four or more runners, you should successfully predict the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place getters in a race to win.
- First 4 bet: Available for races with at least four or more runners and to win, you must predict the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place getters in a race.
- Quaddie (Quadrella) bet: For winners of four selected races of any meeting.
- Multibet: Where you combine various bets into one with a chance to secure a larger winning return.
Quick Horse Racing Betting
With this understanding of available betting options, you're now ready to start on horse races betting. Here are simple tips to start you off.
- Do your homework: To raise your chances of winning, do your research by reading racing forms to make an informed decision. Go online and do further research on the track, jockey experience, weather and other critical information.
- Try different betting options: Unlock the winning potential by exploring different types of sections.
- Shop for odds: Try different bookmakers to get the best odds for any type of bet you wish to place.
- Bet on multiple races but not every race you find.
- Manage your bankroll like a pro: Make a betting budget and stick to it.
- Always look beyond the favourite: Don't let the hype around any horse blind you to other possibilities.
- Keep a betting record
- Try larger races
If you want to excel at horse racing betting, you have to keep learning to improve your strategy. Read what professional bettors have to say, stay up-to-date with horse racing news and always read about betting tips and strategies online.